Tuesday, June 3, 2008

LUTHERANS IN SOUTH CAROLINA SEND PASTOR TO JAPAN

On October 1st of 2008 this pastor will be the 1st "exchange pastor" from the South Carolina Synod of the ELCA to be sent for six months to serve the JELC or Japanese Evangelical Lutheran Church in Japan. I will serve throughout the country of Japan at the direction of the JELC in both churches and social institutions. I will serve on the streets working with the abused, the disadvantaged, and the outcasts as well as in the member churches and related institutions. Each time I am able you will see a post about the people, the experience and the feelings that come to mind as I serve along with my spouse under the direction of the JELC on this first of a kind exchange for the South Carolina Synod of the ELCA and the JELC. This blog is your invitation to experience the exchange as well. In words and pictures posted that you respond to or enter into you are invited to become part of the adventure. How do you share the Good News of Jesus Christ in word and deed in a country that is 99% non Christian after 400 plus years of Christian missionary work? Where is God in this country and in the work of Christians? Our God is at work and well in Japan. Jesus Christ is present in the lives of people; all people through the Holy Spirit? Our challenge is to learn how this is lived out in a culture whose very mode of experiencing the world is beyond our own daily mode of experience. Our adventure is to continue the work of sharing and serving and in it experience the Truth in a context completely outside anything most of us have ever tried to understand. Sound like fun? You may come along anytime you wish; just check into the blog. For the next few months I will share the beginning; getting ready to go to Japan; then the adventure begins. While I am preparing perhaps you would like to do some preparation. May I suggest reading Zen and Japanese Culture by Daisetz T. Suzuki and The Samurai by Shusaku Endo as a great way to start. ENJOY

Peace

SCEP

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi!

I just wanted to say that I am very excited you're getting to go on this adventure. I know it'll be a moving experience for both of you. I'm excited to hear your repots and you'll be in my parents as you prepare and through your journey!

Pax vobiscum!

Heather

Anonymous said...

Let me edit that: I'm excited to read your reports and you'll be in my prayers. That makes a bit more sense!!

H

James Laurence said...

From a former partner of yours who was also blessed to serve with Pastor Naoki Asano when he was in South Carolina, I want to assure you that you and Chris are in my prayers as you get ready for this wonderful new adventure. I also want to thank you for starting this blog - it should be a wonderful way for us to hear about your experiences in Japan.

Blessings,
James