Monday, March 30, 2009

Where in Japan are Bob & Chris ? March 31

Bob and Chris are not in Japan. They are on the way back to Aiken, South Carolina. They are on the way home to the place where they love to live and to the people Pastor Bob loves to serve at St. Paul Lutheran church. They were humbled and blessed to be missionaries to the Japan Evangelical Lutheran Church for this unique assignment from the South Carolina Synod. They are thankful for the guidance and support of so many people. They will always remember the loving guidance of Rev. Jerry and Janice Livingston. They treasured the loving cards and remembrances of those praying for them at St. John’s Charleston. They are thankful for the faithful service of Pastor Mark Cerniglia to St. Paul in Pastor Bob’s absence . Now with a deep love and respect for so many Japanese brothers and sisters they are no longer in Japan but in the air and on the way back to Aiken. While they are flying home I thought you might like some information about me; the one called Zen Ben. I am called Zen Ben because that was the name given to me by a wonderful little girl at St. Paul Aiken. But I have another name according to the historic legends of the Church. You may have noticed that even though I look like a Buddhist monk I don’t look very Japanese. I am pictured as a monk sitting in the beauty of nature; but I look more like someone from the Middle East than from Japan. The husband of one of the women Pastor Bob and Chris got to know in Shimizu, Japan knew my other identity and told his wife who then shared the information. He is a Buddhist who knows of my identity from his studies. There is a tradition based in history and perhaps legend that says I am one of those who followed Jesus and even saw him as the risen Christ. That is why I am not Japanese in appearance. I am one of the disciples who people believe took the Gospel to India and beyond after the resurrection of our Lord. I am the image of Thomas. I am the one you know from Scripture as the disciple who wanted proof, who got his proof from our Lord and took the Truth and shared the Good News of Jesus the Christ. So now you know my historic name, Thomas along with my reporting name, Zen Ben. If you want to see me again you may find me on the bottom of the Japanese scroll that Pastor Bob bought from a print shop in Kyoto in 1970. The scroll hangs in his office in Aiken, South Carolina. That is where you may find him very soon. He will be back in the office on April 6th and in worship on Easter serving a congregation that lives the truth written by one of South Carolina’s first missionaries to Japan. “Show me a congregation which is active in its work for mission, and I will show you a congregation which is blessed in its work at home.”Rev. R. B. Peery AM PhD. Pastor Bob will be back home serving and Chris will be worshipping with brothers and sisters active in their work for mission and blessed at home at St. Paul Lutheran Church in Aiken, South Carolina.



Keep praying,
Zen Ben or Thomas ?

No comments: